Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

I'm starting this thread in response to questions about what technique fellow racers use when dismounting.

Do you:

Step right foot through?
Swing your right leg wide?
Unclip before or during the dismount?

Share your tips, and techniques.

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the one thing very helpful for me when I was learning was to swing the leg over and grab the tt very early and coast like that up to the barriers. If you have a straight run, it's not any slower - you just need the brakes less and often can hit the barriers at greater speed because you're focused and under control.

so regardless of unclipping first or stepping through, all you need to then do is get off the bike and pick it up. it's helpful to just practice coasting around holding the top tube. once you put some weight on that top tube hand, you'll find you're very stable and under control. then, over time, you can reduce the space/time you're coasting on the side of the bike. I find most new racers swing their leg over too late and get off too early on a set of high speed barriers (which are going extinct it seems).
One more thing to add...back when I was a junior and we could have LOTS of barriers (ah...the good old days) I practiced by making a set of 18" tall break away barriers by making upside down "T's" out of 2" x 4"'s and resting a 2" x 2" wooden bar on top. That way if I smoked it I wouldn't really hurt anything, plus it gave me the confidence to move into the barriers quickly.

I have to admit, after my hiatus from cycling during College I was pretty disappointed about the barrier rule change, but that is another topic.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service