Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Does anyone out there have an running program as part of their cyclocross training? If so how many days a week and how far do you run. And on what type of terrain.

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do put in some running into my training as the season approaches. Typically I run short distances but high intensity. This would be things like 100m intervals with full recovery. I do this one or two days a week. As the season gets even closer, I mix my running and cycling into the same workout.

In the past, I've run just one day a week, 20-30 minutes max.  I talked to a friend who was a collegiate runner and he suggested that the terrain should match what you would see in your 'cross races.  So I run on grass and dirt primarily.  And I mix in short, steep little hills, sandy patches and some tight, twisty singletrack.

Last year I did more running than I needed to.  I could crush people during the run-ups, but only 3 of my races actually had a run-up in them.  This year, the running will taper off once the actual racing season starts.

I do run, I added it last year after seeing how much myself and others at the back of the pack were suffering on the run-ups. At mid-season after adding running, my results improved. I run twice a week at lunch, half the run being a warm up, the second half I do a few sprints, and hammer up the overpass at the end. I also run with the bike shouldered in CX practice, usually most of a lap. I have also run a few times as warmup at races. My usual run is about 20 minutes, two miles.

Yes, I run. Once or twice a week. Not necc. as part of 'cross, but because I'm a field service guy who's just trying to keep my fitness up. Sometimes I get to a hotel after 7pm, and I'm tired, hungry and don't know the neighborhood. I've been able to develop a decent running motor (Saturday I did a 5K for fun and clocked a 23:08, my first ever foot race). Now I'll need to start adding some sprints in.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service