Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

The link below is an excellent tool for anyone trying to get permission to race cross.

http://spectasport.com/images/mediagallery/After%20Effects%20for%20...

The pics show that cross does less damage then other sports and even in extremely wet conditions the area will recover quickly.

I saw this posting on http://plusonelap.blogspot.com/

Hup Hup

Bob

Views: 1337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is fantastic. I don't have anything to do with organizing the local race series here but I'm hoping to get some races a little closer to where I live and this could be the ticket to get it done.
This is a great resource showing how little damage races actually do. We see it year after year - rain, snow, and time close all the old wounds by spring but the initial look can really shock park commissions. We just had a race during an extremely rainy stretch of weather and we really tore up some sections creating deep muddy ruts and giving the appearance of grass damage. While it may have "healed" by itself as evidenced by these great series of photos, we went into the park, raked the ruts out, seeded over the damaged spots, rolled it, watered it, and covered it with straw. It took a crew of about 20 cross volunteers just a few hours to get the job done. The response from the park people: they were VERY impressed with our concern for the park, and the work we put into and I think it really has given them confidence in letting the races go on. While you can show how little damage a race can do through photographic evidence, showing the park officials you're willing to "fix it" is the best insurance for continuing access.
The damage to last years' Nationals course was extensive enough to prompt park managers to deny the promoters a permit for this season, hence the new venue. The re-seeding fees were quite steep too.

Surly - I agree 100%, taking a proactive approach to repairing damage caused by muddy races is the best way to ensure continued access.

I agree that trying to repair the damage is important.  The issue you can run into is timing.  Trying to sow grass in the northeast after September is going to be hard.  There won't be enough time for the grass to establish its self before the winter.  The best thing to do would be wait and do it in the spring but that is often not what park managers want to hear. 

Very nice! I have a friend who wants to start a race in his local area, maybe the high school. This could help prove that the aftermath isn't so bad.

I can't seem to see the link.  It says that I'm forbidden. Error 403.  Help please.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service