Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

I have test rode quite a few bikes, I think i like the Kona Jake the Snake. my local shop has a 56. It seems to fit pretty well, I am 6'-3" but stubby in the legs.

What should I look for in terms of fit, or how can I tell if it is too small?

~Chris

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The quick and dirty way is to compare it to your road bike. Typically you want to be 1-3cm shorter (probably 2-3 for you) and the bars a bit higher.

Second way is to have a look at some pro riders and see how they fit on the bike. Typically their backs are at about 45 degrees a bit less than 90 degrees out from their bodies.

Myerson article
I am 6' 3" and generally a 56 fits quite well. I think my legs are a bit short for being 6'3" as well so I'm betting the 56 would be the bike for you. The main thing is not the standover height, though you obviously don't want it taller than your inseam (ouch), it's the length of the top or the reach. Just make sure it's comfortable, not too stretched out and not too cramped, and you'll be good to go. I'm told you want the reach a little more compact than on a road bike, so you have good power transfer.
You want it more compact for weight distribution, handling and a slightly different fit.

On the road you're pretty stretched out whereas in cross you want a bit more weight on the rear end and not so much weight on your hands. You also need to be able to move around more and be more active on the bike. Lastly, your fit should be based around you riding primarily on the hoods (better grip, more secure, gets you more upright) which is basically the farthest point out you can grip the bike. You want to accommodate that by bringing the cockpit back a bit.
I am going through the same problem, finding the proper size. I am 6'2" with long legs and longing at the Jake the Snake in a 60 or possibly a 62. The problem on this end is finding LBS that has the size range for you to compare. My advice is that you RIDE all reasonable sizes before making your choice. If the local LBS doesn't have the sizes, ask them to order one in or check out a shop in another town. Everyone is different, but a 56 sounds small to me. I would think your a 58 at a minimum. Just my two scents!

D
Duane, a 58 generally puts the top tube right in my crotch. The cockpit is comfy for road rides, as it is a little more stretched out. When I first started checking out bikes I thought I would ride a bigger bike, but I guess I've short legs for being a tall guy. A 56 really does fit well.
If it has training wheels. :)

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service