Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

How many local races (if any) have you been in that use chip timing? Did they work? We here in the midwest just had an experimental practice race with some riders pinned with chipped plates. It think the results were pretty good, but not perfect. Nat's don't use this system, I'm guessing too unreliable and too expensive.

Did the timing system raise your entry fees? Just curious to know what's out there and how far behind we are here in cow town.

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check with Robert in Michigan on how to make it run smoothly. Registration is like any other registration, probably better and prices aren't any higher than anywhere else. Never seen an issue with missed scoring.

If you really want it simple do it like we do at our KISSCROSS races. Everybody gets a tag with their name on it. You count your own laps. When you're done you put your tag on a stick beyond the finish line. Forgot how many laps you've done? Did one too many? Tough luck, no beer for you pal ...
What about doing too few laps? Maybe the time clock would take care of that. But then again there's people who could be a lap down and essentially finish on the lead lap simply by turning in their ticket.

More volunteer's during larger races should help out in any race. Maybe one person for every 10 racers. And, $2 per racer ain't bad for chip timing. And, having sponsors pay for it is perfect. Time to get creative with finding sponsors!
For what it's worth, Robert purchased his chip timing system a few years ago. He promotes MTB races throughout the summer and is able to use it for those, as well as a few road races. I suspect that owning the system helps with prep for registration, which is lightening quick, in my opinion.
It was tried here in Portland a few years ago, but didn't work out. The race officials blamed the chip people, and the chip people blamed the race officials.

We saw rider laps not counted, people not wearing their timing chips, etc. They eventually went with a camera system to score by hand instead, which seems to work really well. Even though we've had over 1200 people race for the past two weeks, results have been posted by 6pm!
Looks like they might have used chip timing at the UCI World Cup in Kalmthout.

I know that this link has not been responded to for a while, but there is a new option available:

CrossMgr.  

CrossMgr is software that fills the gap between manual timing (error-prone, slow, no lap times) and chip timing (expensive, lots of administration) and has been used at dozens of races around the world .  It handles multiple categories simultaneously, produces nice-looking results (including lap times) and has additional features like figuring out the number of laps in the race based on time and reminders to ring the bell.

Here is an example from a race at Port Adelaide Cycling Club in Australia.

CrossMgr relies on typing in race numbers, but only until it creates a statistical profile for each rider.  It then "prompts" the next 10 expected riders, allowing you to check them off as they go by.  It auto-corrects for missed numbers based on the rider's profile, so if you don't always get every number, that's OK.

CrossMgr can be used with almost no preparation - the rider names, teams and categories can be typed into a spreadsheet during the race and then "linked" into the results afterwards.  Output is available in HTML and Excel format.

The software has been used by relatively unsophisticated volunteers.

Unlike standard results output, CrossMgr has views designed to settle disputes.  For example, you can easily show which lap a rider was lapped in, and whether that makes sense based on the rider's average lap time.

CrossMgr is free for U17 competitors and events without an entry fee (club events, etc.)

There is a $0.25 suggested donation for each 17+ aged competitor at events with an entry fee.

I started using CrossMgr in 2012 and went on to provide timing for 30 races that year. I timed just one CX race with chips; it created a lot of extra work and didn't produce better results than scoring the race manually using the same software. After that, I never used chips for a cross race again, and I consistently get every rider entered correctly on every lap.

Even without chips, I was able to handle cross races with 75 starters in multiple categories with offset start times. With a good number caller reading bibs, I had no trouble entering 7 riders coming over the line on the first lap.

Since then, I've scored over 150 races with CrossMgr, consistently producing complete and accurate results with every lap time and finisher recorded. CrossMgr is truly the ultimate timing software for CX races.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service