Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

what do you guys use for cold or wet feet? is duct tape still popular? that was my ghetto solution back in the day.

we had a winter shoe review in our last issue. curious how many of you use them?

anyone use gore text socks?

how about booties? most are very hard to use without the tread being exposed, but heard 'cross booties are coming...

Views: 530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice looking Shimano shoe!
I started using the Pearl Izumi MTB booties and found that some strategically placed black duct tape around the toe and under my toe spikes keeps the front from coming up or off and interfering. Sure, it isn't foolproof, but so far it has done a pretty good job.
I use Lake Winter boots with smartwool socks. These really work pretty nicely, but as mentioned make sure they are sized big enough to handle thick socks. Whatever you do don't stuff your feet into extra layers of socks then cram them into shoes/boots that are too tight. Circulation will be affected and your feet will get cold immediately. I use shimano spds and the metal pedals act as cold-sinks to transmit the temp right into your shoe/boot though the cleat. The thick wool insole of the Lake boots works pretty well, but certainly isn't the end-all thats for sure. I have wondered if a composite bodied pedal would be any better at protecting against this transfer of cold through the pedal body?
Last year after Portland Katie went to the local bike store and paid retail for a pair of Sidi winter boots which she wore last cross nationals. They still get regular use. I use Northwave which also work very well.
Both work better than booties especially on those 15deg days in Colorado or those wet days in Belgium
I have a pair of Specialized Defroster "boots" that I wear when its cold and wet. Same tread as most SPC shoes and they have toe spikes too. I still have yet to use them at a cross race but once it gets to be that time of year and I am unsure what the race conditions will actually be like (if I go since I am kind of a cold weather puss) I throw them in the gear basket just in case.
They are tough to find in the U.S., but Northwave makes a wind-tex type fabric sock (similar to the Seal Skins), it's fleeced, but still thin enough to fit over a conventional cycling sock and still fit inside your shoes. Mostly water proof. I found a pair in Belgium a couple of year's ago (Mol, at Master's Worlds). I wore them at Nationals last year and stayed warm and dry on Saturday races. I intend to stock up on those this year.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service