Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Thinking of a pair of Bontrager Race Lites: http://bontrager.com/model/07019/en

Has anyone used these for cross, if so how did they hold up. I am 170 to 175 lbs.

I tried a pair of shimano sw-550 wheels and popped two spokes in my first race.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Views: 2023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not familiar with the escape rims but reflexes have been good to me, just be sure to build up the glue in the center area as they're pretty deep and it's easy to just glue the edges.

double butted spokes tend to be stronger and lighter, a nice combo. just not cheaper. i'd go with DB spokes and brass nipples, esp. if you live anywhere you might get a lot of moisture or salt. those elements make it easy for an alloy nipple to corrode and crack when truing, a big inconvenience since you can't replace a nipple with a tire glued on...

rolling tires - yes, it's good to be paranoid of this, so that you'll be careful in gluing so that it won't happen. rolling a tire can be pretty dangerous esp. at speed and on pavement. lots of thin layers of glue. we'll have a how-to in our next issue too but maybe you won't want to wait that long.

good luck!
I guess my concern with carbon rims would be the braking track. Wet carbon with even good pads could spell disaster. Great weight and some specific advantages, but braking...or slowing down seems like it would suffer.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service