Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

I am looking to get some nice carbon tubbs for this cross season and the occasional road race.

Thus far I am looking at Reynolds DV46's, Zipp 303's, and the nice Easton (Velomax?) EC90's .

Any recommendations/thoughts between these wheels or other suggestions? I am 150lbs so I can ride light stuff w/o much worry.

I know Reynolds uses nice hubs, but I seem to remember Zipp using garbage hubs. Easton hubs?

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may also want to consider ROL Wheels. The Carbon 38's are what Katie Compton used last season.

I can't speak to the durability of their hubs but they use carbon rims made by Edge Composites — good stuff.
I just got a set of EC90's. My first race on them was yesterday, it was a pretty hard course as far as wheels go, part of the lap was through construction at the local ski resort. The wheels held up surprisingly wheel, and I bottomed them out on a certain rock almost every lap (20+ laps). So they seem very durable. The hubs spin smooth as anything but the hearsay is that they require a bit more maintenance than other (DT's - featured in Bontrager and Reynolds) hubs. But if you take care of them they'll be fine. I'm in love with the EC90s. btw, I have the EC90 aeros and weigh 155, and am an average smooth rider.
Sounds pretty good.

Did you ever weigh the wheels and how deep are the rims?
20+ LAPS????? - in one race?????
The EC90s are 56mm deep and weigh pretty spot on with their claimed weight (1370 gms).
Check out the [url=http://www.cycleco.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=502]Ligero SLW Wheelset[/url] made by Troy Watson. I haven't used these but he made my AL tubular race wheelset a couple years ago and they are light and have held up really well (still have needed truing). These are definitely on my short list if/when I decide to go Carbonic. He knows his wheels.

Model 3 - Carbon Tubular 41mm (1170g): - $1800
Ligero SLW Hubset
Custom Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
41mm Edge Composite Tubular Rim
Cyclocross/Heavy Duty Use

Model 4 - Carbon Tubular 68mm (1330g): - $1850
Ligero SLW Hubset
Custom Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
68mm Edge Composite Tubular Rim
Cyclocross/Heavy Duty Use
The Ligeros look pretty nice, but a little out of my $ range.

I am maxing out around $1000 on Ebay/Craigslist.

Ah the sweetness of 1100 gram wheels. I borrowed some for CrossVegas and they are like cheating, I can't imagine doing a climbing course on them!
I'll second this, Troy is a good guy and a solid builder. Can't go wrong with one of his wheelsets.
hey not sure if these will work but there is a pair of 202s up for sale on my local triathalon group if you are interested.

http://www.trirudy.com/region/OE/classified/index.cfm

look for "ZIPP 202 ULTRA LIGHT-1030gr GREAT WHEELS!" at $1400 CDN or $1200 USD
Another option would be to demo some wheels of different brands and see what you like before dropping a huge chunk of coin on a set. Echappe Equipment offers rentals w/purchase option and credit towards a purchase of various race ready wheelsets. Brands like Zipp, American Classic, Dura Ace 7850's with tires glued and ready to roll.

Echappe Equipment @ http://racewheelrental.com/cyclocross.php Check em out. I'm a rep for them, but also think its a great service to try a few brands out before breaking the bank on something.

The American Classic 38's are essentially a Zipp 303 rim with ultralite hubs and super stiff spokes, giving you unparalleled accelleration. Nice light and fast set of wheels and if you want a deeper rim go with a 58. Send me a mail if you have questions.
wood booger,

fwiw, zipp has totally changed their hubs, and their new hubs on their '09 wheels (at least the cx wheels) have a bunch of seals. see our interbike coverage for a closer look. i haven't tried them (yet).

trying wheels through echappe could be worthwhile to see what you like (they're an advertiser with the magazine).

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service