Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Greetings All! I'm sorry to post another discussion regarding wheels & tires. However, I can not locate exactly what I am looking for.

I have a pair of Mavic Aksium, possibly not the best for 'cross but it is what I currently have, that I would like to try tubeless. Has anyone had any luck running these tubeless? And if so, what set-up did you use, including conversion kit and tire(s)? If this is not feasible, then I can run latex tubes and/or powder the heck out of my tubes and tires.

Further, if you could get any wheel-set under $500 to run tubeless, what would you use? 

Again, sorry if this is a repeat discussion and can be accessed elsewhere. Thanks to all in advance for any help! 

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you had a problem with pinch flats? I would recommend to stay away from tubeless. Run Latex and enjoy the ride until you can get a tubular set.
I ran tubeless for two years with NO issues using Stan' rims. I suggest you look at their website for recommendations on rim and tire combinations that work. I have always stuck with their tire/rim combos for mountain biking and never had issues. Their discussion board is pretty helpful. Good luck
Last year I ran Ksyrium SL's w/ no rim strip, Hutchinson tires, Stan's sealant and did not have one flat the whole season last year. This year I am running Shimano Ultegra 6700 tubeless compatible rims w/ the same tires. You can find the 6700 wheels for under $400. @Kurtis, no disrespect but why would you recommend staying away from tubeless? What is your experience?
Burped like a gassy sailor. My rim combo may not have been as solid, but I love my tubular set up. You can get into a tubular set up for an economical price point.
Thanks for the advice. Ideally I will invest in a couple of tubular set-ups, but this may have to wait until next year. I may experiment with tubeless; but I have actually had decent luck with clinchers and tubes regarding no pinch flats.

Another question: anyone have knowledge or experience with Tufo's tubular clincher tires? They seem like an interesting idea, however I have not located any reviews to judge them by.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service