Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Does anyone have any information about Barum cyclo-cross tires? They were manufactured by a company in one of the countries aligned with the former Soviet Union in the 1980s; therefore, their availability was scarce. I've only recently ever heard of them; and, unfortunately, I've never seen one.

Thanks.

Views: 1168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the Barum. I measured the casing width at 25mm.

I've put this set of Barum's up for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150771878939?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&...

I'm happy to entertain offers to sell direct.

Here is the Wolber. I measured the casing at a scant 24mm.
Here is the UFO. I measure the casing width as 27.5mm.
these came in three widths, if memory serves us right.  28-32, right?
I'm not sure. I don't even remember where I got these (I think Veloswap in the late 90's). But if these are as old as I think, I doubt they made them as big as 32, even 30, but I that's just my guess.
And finally here is the TUFO Rhinoceros. It measures at 29mm.

Hey Ariel, I can't thank you enough for posting these photos. Just being able to see these treads is a pretty big deal to me. I'm really, really curious as to why the tread designers chose the rounded knobs; I'm going to dig a little, but I'm not so certain I'll be able to find out why they were used.

I'll bet the cyclo-cross tire geeks of the early-to-mid '90s were really psyched when those UFOs came out. I'm going to try and search a little to perhaps find out more about how they chose that design, as UFO/TUFO did a great job establishing what may have manufactured a mud-specific tread pattern that has been modified and fine-tuned a few times (with great success) over the years.

Again, thanks for posting these. I appreciate it.

Dan 

No problem.

I think the round knobs were actually pretty good in the mud because they shed the mud really well, probably better than the UFO/TUFO pattern. I think the best thing about the UFO/TUFOs when they came out was that they were available, while the other probably more desirable tires were very difficult to come by.

I can think of a few people who might have some good information about tires of that era (80's, 90's). First I'd try to talk to Clark Natwick and Jim Langley. Perhaps Lennard Zinn. I have a few others but I haven't even been able to find them.

DM me and I could probably compile a longer list of people who had experience with tubular tires in the late 80's early 90's.

Let me know if you want better/larger images.

-- Ariel

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service