Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

so ive been thinking of getting a coach...just payed off my truck so i got some extra money that i may use to get a coach to help.what are you guyes thoughts on a coach?.any one a acoach on here, or know of a good one? not lookin to pay a ton of money if i do this looks like most lower level programs are 150ish a month, looking for options around that price...or should i save it and just ride the hell out of my bike liek if done in the past.

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cycle-Smart! They've recently added a few coaches, including Shaun Adamson who is spending the winter racing in Europe. Adam and his guys really know what's up. They're super felxible and will help you work toward whatever cycling goal you have, on whatever schedule you need.

I am a coach, would be happy to talk here or off list.

chris @ jbvcoaching . com

I would say the difference between hiring a coach and riding like hell is how much difficulty you're having in achieving your goals. People usually don't hire a coach when they're flying or winning with ease. They hire a coach when some obstacle gets thrown into the mix (trying to break thru to the next level, a job, kids) and need help in overcoming that.

Keep in mind, because a guy races fast doesn't make him a coach. I am not saying it can't happen but you would be better off IMO looking at a guy that coaches full time and makes a living at it.  I think Chris Mayhew really understands cross and how to get fast.

I hired a coach for two seasons, and saw no improvement in my results.

two seasons or two years?  my big takeaway from coaching is that fitness is cumulative and consistency matters.  i could see using a coach for a few months to lay a foundation, get through a plateau, or help structure a training program -  but I wouldn't expect a step function improvement in fitness or results in a short amount of time, especially during the actual race season when recovery is a key element.  coaches aren't magic - real improvement takes a lot of time and work, some trial and error too, and I see the the coach's role as making that time and work as efficient as possible based on one's goals. 

the best thing I did for my fitness *this year* was to have some physiological testing done at the end of my 'cross season (December) *last year* - my coach took that data, so he knew exactly what he was working with.  i laid out my goals for the year.  he built a plan.  we started training for real in mid-January with an eye on the Fall.  I gave lots of feedback.  we communicated often.  I learned a ton along the way, including how to be patient.  real noticeable improvement came in May/June and progress continued through the summer.  health issues have kept me from racing cx year - really bummed about that, but i have a new level of fitness to build on for next year. 

bottom line: don't get a coach and expect miracles.  be methodical, have patience and give your coach a chance to find the right recipe for results.

You didn't have a good coach.

I suggest Russel Cree from Upper Echelon Fitness out of Portland, OR. I've done clinics with him and he works with a staff of very strong local talent. I think Adam Myerson also provides coaching services, and he's regularly among the stronger Cat A/Pro race finishers nationally.

If nothing else, a coach can advise you *how* to best train with the available time and resources, addressing workouts, diet, rest, etc.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service