Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

So, I put together a crux with spare parts and my concerns about the drive train and some bumps and some twigs resulted in a broken derailleur hanger and derailleur.  While I am not too put out by the derailleur or the hanger, I do need to get a new hanger.

my question is - this specialized hanger looks pretty cheap and break away.  In that respect it did what it was designed to do.  Is there any wisdom to getting some stronger material hanger?  One place in CO advertises "aircraft quality" aluminum...which the original very well could be.  

any thoughts?

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

glad you posted, mine broke this weekend too! and it is a 2011 crux.

now i am 155 lbs, a middling cat 4 58 year old.  i am not powerful , why would the hanger break after 5 races and a few practice rides? no twigs or mud buildup.

now i have to rebuild my trashed derailleur and have a nice gouge in my frame.

are we talking defective parts?

As frustrating as this is, my sense is no we are not talking defective parts.  Talking to people on the field the general thought was - better to break a removable hanger than bend / break a drop out.  But what do I know?  This was my 3 or 4th race ever, and (silly me) the maiden voyage of my crux.  I was asking for trouble with a mismatched (old/new) drive train.  which for the record was - campy 9 speed ergo shifters to campy derail - to sram 9 speed cassette and chain.

Really -- I suspect my cage was too tight to pass any debris and my jockey wheels were ancient.  It shifted pretty well .

Gotta rebuild.

Ok
I'll back down....
Still would like to know what happened, I couldn't find much info about the mechanism by which the hanger breaks but no doubt better than broken chain stay.

Dave

Think collar bone.  Designed to break so your ribs and back don't.  If the impact didn't break the collar bone you chance having your ribs driven through your lungs ... ick

While designed to break they shouldn't just break.  The thinking behind the hangers were designed this way as bike moved away from steel because you cannot cold set aluminum or carbon.  It has become standard now.

Just make sure that when you instal the new one you have the alignment checked or your shifting will never be right.  Most new bikes are not aligned properly and this contributes to both poor shifting and eventual early fatigue.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service