Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Can you help me with my gear selection? I almost tore my leg off !

Hello everyone , this is my first year in cyclocross but not racing ( MTB). I have been experimenting with different gears ratios . Recently my bike came back from the bike shop and the mechanic installed a 10 cog road set on the back coupled with the two on the front crankset. It almost tore my leg off in the mud and climbing . I figure that there must be an easier combination to ride effectively on the grass and through the mud.
Any suggestions on how I can approach figuring out the right combination for my racing?

I am 6'1" 180 lbs
Long limbs

Views: 156

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Do you know what the cassette and chainrings on the front are - i.e. how many teeth on the chanrings and what the smallest and largest sprockets on the cassette are? Having that info would give people a good starting point for advice.

It sounds like you may need some smaller chainrings though...

Cheers,
Steve
Steve thanks .I am running a 22-11 on the back and 39/46 on the front crankset .
Yeah, smaller chainrings are probably what's in store for you. If he installed a traditional road chainset in the front (53/39) you may be fine with just using the 39 only and not splurging for a new crankset/rings. Depends on what your budget is. I use a 46/36 with an 11-27 cassette in the back, but that's what my bike came with, so I'm leaving it until I get some dough to change it around.

Cameron
Cameron, it's cute how you kids think a "traditional road chainset" is a 39/53T, when of course you meant a modern chaniset. A traditional one would be a 42/52.
Also, consider your crankset bolt circle diameter (BCD). If you've got a 130mm BCD standard crankset, you'll be limited to a 38t small ring. If you've already got a compact (110mm BCD) crankset, you'll have a lot more options.

You also didn't say what your cassette size is. Take a peek at http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ to see how different gear combos will affect you.
110mm BCD (Traditional MTB Standard and new Road Compact Standard) will accept a minimum of a 34T ring. 50T is about the largest big ring that you'd want to use, but for 'cross, I'd recommend a 44T, 46T or 48T.
Having been away from racing and serious training for several years, I'm running an old MTB crankset (110mm BCD) with a 34T single + a chain guard (cut from a 46T ring). I have precious few times when I run out of gears on the high end. I'd anticipate upping it to a 36T or 38T in coming years assuming that my fitness and strength improves.
Thanks All for the great advice, Steve advised to post my gear selection to help with feedback .

The rear cog runs 22-to 11 as the smallet Shimano road set
Crank Set 39/46
That's BS. What a bummer. Get a 42 to replace the 46 and get a 38 to replace the 39.

Get a 12-25 in back, maybe a 12-27T.

I run a single ring 42 up front and 12-27 in back. That's pretty standard amateur gearing.

Only pros use a 46 up front. That's mainly there so you can use it on the road too if you want.

The 22 in back is way way too small.
I think the 39/46T is fine, the 46T was a standard MTB big ring for a long time.
The 11-22T is pure road racing though. A 12(or 11)-28T would be a minimum.
I would politely disagree that 46s are only for pros. I have a 39/48 on one of my bikes, and do use the 48 and I'm not very fast. On one 9s bike, I have a 13-26 cassette which works really well for cx, and if it was 10s, it'd just add a 12 which I prob wouldn't use off-road anyway. I don't use the 13 often, and wouldn't use a 12, but do find the bigger ring useful, esp for riding on the road to the trail, or using slicks with an 11t for early-season group road riding on the cx bike.

don't forget that we're not constrained to 11+ or 12+ cassettes, even for 10 speed. juniors need a way around this too for gear restrictions. You can always try one of these that start with a 13,14,15, or even a 16t! Can you image a 16-27? you could use one of those blow-out 39-52 or 42/52 cranksets and still have a lower high gear than a 42/12. crazy.
Junior 10s shimano cassettes:
Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed Road Bicycle Cassette - Junior Development...
Not sure I'd trust my mechanic anymore if he put a 22-11 on a 'cross bike.

Chris- I run a 46/38 (and spent about 80% of DCCX in the 46). Is that why I can't seem to beat you?

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service