Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Rad tubular wheelset with cross tires.  $350 plus actual shipping. $10 will go to the forum. In Chicago and local pick-up preferred, but will ship.

I think these are the Volos road model from Cane Creek, Shimano compatible.  These were the team wheelset for the Richard Sachs cross team 4 or 5 years ago.  I bought them from Sachs himself 2 years ago (I think they were new, or at least rebuilt with new rims), glued on a new set of Grifo 32s, raced them twice, and they’ve been sitting on my porch since.  Full disclosure: the porch is not heated, but is fully enclosed and has heated rooms on two sides.
More photos...

I aquasealed the sidewalls and they seem fine, with just a bit of grease and heel rub on the rear.  I put 60psi in the tires and they’ve held air well for 2 days.  Just a bit dirty is all.  Some slight notching to the freehub (white stuff in photo is grease), but otherwise they are straight and the bearings are awesomely smooth.

Did some more research and found they weigh 1600 grams or a bit less, and with more rotating weight at the hub vs the rim, they ride much lighter and spin up fast.  Very stiff and responsive. 24 radial spokes in front, 28 in back, 2x on drive side, and radial on non-drive.

The tires are well-attached, but they should really be reglued.  I’ll include 3 unopened tubes of Mastik One to get you going.  Also have some extra spokes and nipple wrench. Skewers includes as well.

Get a perfect alloy cyclocross wheelset for a good price.

Cheers,

Jason
jasonnargis@gmail.com

Views: 1321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Price drop: $300 plus shipping. C'mon! These are cool!

HI, I have a question about this wheelset.  I got an exact set of Cane Creek Volos from ebay that were clinchers.  I love them....but is yours the "Volos Track set" or are they simply the regular clinchers that were somehow converted to be run with no tubes?   For what I understand, only the true Volos Track are the ones that are supposed to be true tubular rims....or I might be wrong? 

Paul

Hey Paul,

First off, I should say that these are sold.  As far as I know Cane Creek also made a tubular road version of the Volos, which is what these are.  Though, I might be wrong...

These were sent back to Cane Creek in 2009 by the previous owner and rebuilt with new rims, spokes, nipples, and the hubs were checked and repacked.  Not sure if they were tubular prior to the rebuild.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service