Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

I plan on racing in Northern Nevada and Sac, so it's usually super dry conditions, dry grass, some sand and lots of big rocks that will pinch flat your wheel at every turn.

Also going tubeless with a Stan's kit.  I've really only ever raced in wet, mud and snow, so does anyone have any good tire recommendations for dry, loose and rocky conditions?

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nick,

For our area tubular tires run the best, but if you have to go clincher I recommend challenge Grifo or Schwalbe Rocket Ron. On the rockier courses a little more pressure than normal helps combat the flats.

Thanks Rob.  Sounds like an open, aggressive, all-around tread is the way to go?

I think the selection is wide open. For those conditions (especially the big rocks) I'd go as big as you can. Panaracer Cinder-X, Kenda Kommando or Straight Six, Clement PDX, Specialized Tracer, Schawlbe's Rocket Ron, Ritchey Excavaders - or, if you can find them and not worried about UCI regs, the Ritchey Zeds are fantastic.

For going tubelss recommendations, see: http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tubeless-cyclocross-tires-racing-re...

I've had good results in similar dry conditions here in CO with Hutchinson Bulldogs (haven't tried, but they're tubeless ready). Right now running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs which hook up even better than the bulldogs due to their slightly slanted shoulder knobs.

I had terrible luck in dry conditions with the Grifo's; tiny round shoulder knobs wash out easily in the loose, and once they go, they go! Did have good luck with them on green grass courses though.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service