Hi, I'm looking for a dry-conditions, rear (clincher) race/pit/practice tire for use this year. I don't know whether many of the courses I'll be racing on in dry weather will feature soft dirt, sand, or tall grass, so I'd like to find something that is capable of handling a variety of terrain. I'd like to go with a tire with a larger contact patch, such as a 34 or 35 (listed). I've read (and re-read) Andrew's clincher reviews from several issues back, plus I've searched around on the 'Net a wee bit, too.
The tires I'm kicking around are:
- Geax Mezcal 34 (http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/geaxmezcal.html
- Challenge Grifo 32 (http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/chgrcl70.html
- Challenge Grifo XS 32 (http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/chgrxsdrycoc.html
- Continental Speed 35 (http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle...
- Continental Race 35 (http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle...
The Continental tires aren't yet available and it is unclear when they will be available. The Challenge tires both list a little smaller than the others; however, Challenge historically is one of the few manufacturers who lists tires as large as they actually are; hence, the Challenge 32s may really be larger than a few of the other options. The Grifo XS looks like a great option; however, the knobs that line either side of the tread are a bit small, which gives me pause. I'm really leaning towards the Mezcals. They're of reasonable size, versatile, and cost less than the Challenge models, but I'd like to get some other opinions about dry-condition rear clincher options before deciding.