Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Hey friends,

I have access to a deal that would put either a set of EA70x wheels or a set of Mavic Reflex 32h laced 3x to Ultegra hubs shipped to my house for a low and equal price. I'm guessing the weights would be roughly the same--about 1650g.

This is my first set of tubulars, I weigh about 200lbs, and will probably do about 10 races in the Chicago area (ChiCrossCup!). Courses are pretty varied, with some hills, sand, and there is always a chance for mud.

My worries are that the Mavics might not shed mud that well and I've also heard about eyelet cracking, especially for Clydes like me. With the Eastons, I've head the freehubs are pretty soft and get gouged up.

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Cheers. Cross is almost here.

jason

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have nothing against the EA70X's, but at 200 pounds I think you would be better off going with the Reflex to Ultegra wheelset.

It's a tried and true setup with a higher spoke count, cup and cone bearings that are easy to adjust and repack, and spokes that are easier to find if you need to replace them — I believe the EA70X uses straight-pull Sapim spokes, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree with Josh. At 200lbs you'll have more assurance of a complete season, every race of getting through without wheel failure. My coach actually was riding easton wheels this year and the hubs on them were pretty disappointing. The Ultegra hubs are a lot better and serviceable.
Thanks for the advice. I think you're both probably right: the Mavic/Ultegra set up seems like the way to go. Either way, I'm excited to experience some tubular love for the first time. Cheers.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service