Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Newbie racer, longtime commuter and brevet rider with knee issues who absolutely CANNOT use clipless pedals.
I am racing short-track XC this summer as a warm-up for my first season of 'cross, and LOVING it. Hadn't done any off-road since the Dark Ages of BMX back in the early 70's. Old and slow but my bike-handling skills have come ROARING back -- I cannot tell you how gratifying that is!

So far doing ok on a singlespeed mountain bike and gnarly flat pedals with very stout leather BMX shoes. Fine for summer short-track racing (see below).
Only problem is that when I add running to the mix in the rainy autumn those shoes will become a liability on the run-ups. What's a creaky old gal to do? Who else is racing on flat, stompy BMX'y pedals, and what pedal/shoe combos do you like for 'cross?

Views: 4177

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I swapped in a new (to me) crankset today, a Truvativ Stylo with external BB. Suh-WEEEET! Rolls so smoothly I am asking myself where this has been all my life. Meanwhile, Chicagowig (www.chicagowig.com) has come up with this handy-dandy device to aid in my pursuit of reasonable foot retention with easy-in, easy-out. I am looking into buying a pair, and using them (slightly more open) with a modified pair of old BMX shoes -- my cobbler is adding a couple of small cleats at the toe and heel. Stay tuned, this could get interesting.
Attachments:

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service