Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Anyone have recommendations on a low-cost SSCX frameset? I was looking at the Surly Cross Check & All-City Nature Boy... trying to avoid the Motobecane, but trying to expand my options. Any suggestions are appreciated...

Views: 2213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a nice-looking bike. I looked at it as a possibility for next year (this year I'm racing on my SS mountain bike), but the dropouts gave me pause. All that open "lattice" stuff -- up close does it still look strong enough?
I always get nervous when frame designed take metal away in the dropout area.
It is a beast; brick sh#thouse tough! The dropouts are thick like a BMX bike and its 4130 so it's very strong. I cannot imagine any riding that I could do on this bike that would cause it to fail...and that says a lot as I break everything! Plus, they are so inexpensive it's like stealing. I am glad I customized mine though. It was time consuming, but pretty easy. It is not light, but mine came in at 22.7 lbs and while I could spend money to lighten it up I do not really care. It is well suited to me and riding something with a lil' more weight just makes you tougher...strong like bull! Should I become more legitimately competitive or feel like spending frivolously then I will get something more svelte. ;-)
I got to see one of these frames in person last weekend at the handbuilt show, and the drops look a lot better in person than online. I am considering this if I ever want to go to a dedicated 700c-wheeled cx bike in the future (though that would require me to get ride of an existing bike first! Nooooo!).

For now my Monocog fulfills both functions reasonably well. If I can get my J & B rep to do me a favor then I might go for the O-8 for next year...
I *almost* pulled the trigger on that frame a few months ago, but I cou'dn't find any reviews or info on it. Besides,the Mongoose already fills the "monstercross" area of my stable. I was also concerned about the BB drop - it seemed pretty high. I am guessing it's not a problem for you?
So far it handles like a Harrier; rugged and can take a serious beating but pretty nimble even in the really tight twisty stuff. It reminds me of riding a really nice steel hardtail...because it is just with a CX costume.
I'm working on an old 70's road frameset. I gave like $20 for it. Steel, heavy as hell. But I've ridden it as a road bike for several years now so I've got my money's worth out of it should I crash and burn.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service