Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

I am working on a new rig and was wondering if there is any problem mixing for example... a 10 speed 105 STI shift lever with an XT style mountain bike 10 speed rear derailleur?  The reason is I am considering running a 11-32 cog-set in the back and that would most likely need a longer cage. 

Views: 471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say, if you already have the parts, give it a try. If it doesn't work, all it will cost you is some time.

It should work. I had my wife's bike on a 105 shifter with an XT rd and an 11-32 cassette before.

Won't work.  The pull ratio on the Shimano 10 speed mountain stuff is compatible with nothing :)  If you put a 9 speed mountain derailleur on a 10 speed road shift you are golden - they have the exact same pull ratio.  Similarly, the 11 speed stuff matches up with nothing.

Buyer beware - I have read lots of Franken-bike stories where people, by modifying the location of the anchor bolt/cable setup have made some of this work but it that is a buyer beware thing.  Officially, the 9 speed mountain stuff works with the 10 speed road shifters.

In your case - it will be awesome.  I set up a buddy with 105 shifters (5700) with an XT (770 if I remember correctly) and it is flawless and he can run up to a 36 rear cog.

Cool, thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for :). I have plenty of 9 speed rd. mountain parts.

Just to clarify - 9 won't work with 9, 10 won't work with 10.  You need 10 speed shifters and 9 speed rear deraileur.  SLX is actually a really good compromise.  The big bummer is that you cannot use the Shadow+ stuff so you don't get the clutch benefits.  Otherwise, smooth as silk

I looking at the new Race Face Narrow/ wide chain-rings for CX and running a 1x10 set up so hopefully not having the clutch won't matter that much, but it would be nice.  

I have one ... they are great and the cool colors are awesome.  Work spectacularly.  But ... without a clutch they are not foolproof.  I ran a 1x9 on my mountain bike (no clutch obviously) and only had one chain pop off so it works really well.  I would go for it ... unless extreme peanut butter mud or realllllllyyyyy chattery I don't think you will have a problem.

Cool, thanks for the review, I have not seen very many reports on how those narrow/wide rings work.

Actually, the 9sp mtn. rear derailleurs do work with both 9 and 10sp road shifters.  Other than that, this is correct info. 

Thanks Adam, I just reread my post and that is dead on ...

I am in the same process. Putting 11-36 SRAM cassette on my single-speed as a gravel ride option. I got a Shimano Zee RD - really compact and sturdy but is dyna-sys (10spd MTB ratio). Since I don't have STI levers (I have Hylex hydraulic levers only) I am just putting a Zee front shifter on there (somehow?!) for the time being until I figure out a better way to get the dyna-sys ratios. Got to figure out how to fit it to my 1-1/4" bar though (have flattened FSA wing bar).

On the front end I have a regular FSA 42T 130bcd ring and using an 8spd chain. Hoping with the clutch and compact RD I won't need to change this to a wide-narrow but obviously be switching to a 10spd chain. I won't be racing cross with the gears so it should get a smoother ride. Being able to remove and convert back to SS for cross season is key though.

Would be cool if JTek Shiftmate had a road->dyna-sys option. Or could do this to a bar-end/DT shifter:

http://kayakscott.com/wordpress/?p=1518

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service