Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Last season I ran a pair of Mavic Open Pro/Dura-Ace wheels with Stan's and Vittoria XG tyres.
I have just splashed out on some new wheels and bought some Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium's (I also have a pair of these on my road bike) and will use the Open Pro/DA for training.
I am going to run these again with Stan's but with the new XM tyres, as I feel with more grip I could ride with more confidence.
But, and this is what my question is, should I have bought another pair of Open Pro/Dura-Ace wheels instead so I have two pairs the same but with different treads on?
Or were the lighter/stiffer Ksyrium's a good investment?

Many thanks
Owen

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the only reason to have two of the same is if the rim width/material is so different you need to change your brake adjustment or pad. or in your case if a rim has trouble going tubeless.

light wheels are nice to have for race day... just keep that freehub lubed.

if you convert the ksyrium to tubeless, you probably still want to build up that rim channel (stan's strip and/or tape) as even though the rim is already sealed, it's pretty low and subject to burping at low pressures. i added a rim strip and tape and still had trouble but I was probably in the low 20's. good luck!
Cheers.
The rim width is pretty much the same, so shouldn't have a problem with brakes.
Many thanks.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service