Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

What would you include in a pre-season bike service?
Do you do it yourself or get a shop to do it?

Cheers all

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is what I would do:
New cables and housing
Bar tape
Chain
Cassette if it needs it
Rings if it needs it
Check bottom bracket, replace if necessary
Check hubs, overhaul if necessary
Check tires, replace or reglue if necessary
Check brake pads, replace if necssary
Check rims for wear

I went through several chains and replaced my shift housing/cables several times last season. I expect to do the same this year, so stock up on parts. I'm a bike mechanic by trade, so yeah of course I would do the service myself
that's a good list katsu!
i might add: 1) grease headset (if possible) 2) check tires (clincher/tubulars) 3) double-check glue (if tubulars) 4) replace cleats if worn
Thanks for that.
You must save a packet doing it yourself.
Bike Season??!!
Depends on how much you can do yourself, and how much time you have. I also do almost everything myself; many years aquiring tools and skills (and learning what not to do!!)
What cables do you use?
i swear by the gore sealed system, worth every penny and the extra time to set up. full disclosure, they advertise with CXM, but I've gone more than a season with a set.
Don't use cheap cables. I bought some cheap boxes of Jagwire cables for this road season and I've literally replaced the cable and housing every other week. Use some name brand stuff here so it will last and keep your shifting crisp. Not that you have to use Nokon cables or whatever, but at least Shimano level stuff.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service