Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

seeking recommendations for a 700 x 38 (yes, 38) cross tire

Header says it all. Building a bike with UCI-illegal tires. Suggestions for clincher 700 x 38's that are good in mud and wet gravel. Thanks!

Views: 1254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hope you have better luck than I did, don't think you're going to find a 38mm tire that works in mud.  Lot's of 'gravel-grinder' suitable tires in that size, but none are mudders. 

However, if you can work a 45mm into your frame, Panaracer makes a 700x45 tire that is a mud boggin' fool.

I have a new pair of Continental Twister Pro 700 x 42, They were Continental's race tire but now have been replaced with a wider tire. like most Continental tire I don't think they are a true 42mm, I bet they are closer to 38mm. If you are interested, let me know.

I was looking for the same thing, and finally I found a set of Maxxis "Mountain Cross" in x38 on ebay, they were NOS, and are really aggressive for a cross tire, treadwise.  I really like them.

Beth, another thought, there are a good number of narrow 29" mountain tires out there, maybe your frame has clearance for them?

Another NOS dig is the old IRC V-Cross. I found one at an old shop during my travels and it works well for me as a mud tire. It's listed as 700 x 38 but it may be a tick narrower. Could be rough trying to find a set of those.

I have a set of Panaracer FireCross tires and can say I agree with Scott's statement, but they are not near a 38. More like a narrow verson of the FireXC tire. BIG knobs for a 'cross tire.

Beth - if you'd like, I'd send you the tire. I only have one but you can PM me if you want and it's yours.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service