Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

My 2010 xc/cross bike is here, and it's done. I scored a Redline Monocog over the holidays and just finished the last of the parts upgrades last week. I decided to have fun with it, and added pink highlights to an otherwise sedate gunmetal blue frame. I've taken it out to the local park a couple of times to play.

Cons:
--larger-diameter tubing makes carrying over barriers slightly more, um, interesting. Suitcasing over a quick barrier isn't bad but carrying the frame under my shoulder requires a little more thought.
--bike actually weighs a little more than Version 1.0, perhaps by as much as half a pound. I'm willing to accept the weight penalty for now, since I can't afford/justify a custom bike and since the fit is better (Stompy 1 was a little too small).

Pros:
--It's a true singlespeed frame, meaning No More Convert and the cleanest possible chainline.
--Kona's main triangle was squashed down, flatter, meaning it was hard to get a good fit and the bike felt a little too small. Redline's frame slightly more open, allowing me to set the seat farther back and get more room for my long legs without sacrificing reach to the handlebars.
--the reasons I can't quite describe technically, Stompy 2 offers a less squirrelly, more stable ride without feeling super-heavy and clunky.

It may be that I eventually get a cross-specific singlespeed bike, but for 2010 I'll race short-track AND cross on the Redline and see how I do.

Meanwhile, I have to decide what to do with the Kona. Strip and part out, or sell off as a bike? Currently set up as a singlespeed, with a flat bar. Maybe I'll just clean it up, hang onto it until the spring and then sell it off as a short-track bike.

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMG there's a female Stompy???

Mr. Stompy
Stompy was named by a bike buddy of mine who noticed the HUGE BMX pedals I installed (Crank Bros 5050XX's -- YUM), and commented that the bike looked like "stompy stompy bmx'y fun".
It stuck.
I race with big gnarly flat pedals because I CANNOT use clipless (medical reasons), and because my last adventures in dirt were in the early 70's at the dawn of BMX. Basically, I built myself a bike that would help me get my handling skills back (muscle memory never dies), and with the Misfit bars and flat pedals it's basically like BMX For Big People. A delicious riding experience.

Your stompy looks nice, almost too sleek for such a crunchy name. Happy riding --B
Cool ride Beth. And FYI - you can use the picture icon to put photos up. Let everyone see her!

Thank you. I STILL get stumped by this feature and forget to use it. Someday I will learn me how to use them computer thangs...

Updated drivetrain, including swapped over cranks and NEW pedal plates...

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service