Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Hi all,

In a couple of issues Cyclocross Magazine showcased the building of a relatively cheap cyclocross bike without dipping into the second-hand market or relying on their own collection of used parts.  I have a cyclocross bike I'm happy with, but like the idea!

Does anyone have a 'cheap build' they would like to share?

http://www.cxmagazine.com/cheapbike

Views: 1225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheap bikes are a very attractive proposition especially for a 'cx bike.  When not at the races a cheap 'cx bike makes a great commuter and who wants to leave an expensive bike locked up outside work or a bar.

I work for Retroshift so my recommendation for a good component for a build might be biased but this is hard to beat.

http://retroshift.com/store/products/cx1/ - $139 for a complete 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 shifting system and can be bought new from your local bike shop and with a $24 crash replacement policy.  Cheap!

Think CX Magazine has a review next issue.  Can't wait to see what they think.

Adam

Thanks Adam -- the 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 shifting system looks awesome.

Hey Mike, we can definitely tell you it's possible - having put it together slowly over a year...and it held up pretty well, and not unlike an out-of-the-box bike, there were of course some parts we'd rather swap out but overall it was a pretty raceable machine. There are so many nice bikes available today that those with funds don't need to go that route, but it's proof that you can do things cheaply and it's also a great learning process, esp. for people who haven't built a bike from scratch before.

Let us know if you need any more help. We're thinking of having some contest to give it away to a needy new/young racer. Any ideas out there?

Great to know the time-line you used, and yes, the building from scratch idea is great.  Hmmm, I wonder what a good contest would look like.  Something like send in a picture of your current bike --> 'held together with duct tape' and write a short entry on why you could really use a cyclocross bike.  You might even consider publishing the entry in the magazine.  Other thoughts on a good contest?

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service