Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

Training Camps: Experiences and what you'd like to see?

Hey everyone!

Working on a CXM piece on training camps and how to find one or even put one together with a few friends. I wanted to know: have you done a training camp before, and if so, what were some of your (good and bad) experiences? Also, if you were to design a training camp, what would your dream training camp be?

Thanks!!

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never attended a CX camp (though I probably should).  However, given my experiences in my rookie year, here's my take:

• Day Sessions:
    • Mounts / dismounts.  From both the left and right sides of the bike (learned this one the hard way.  At least the mob was entertained).
    • Obstacle avoidance.  Lots of riders hit things they shouldn't.
    • How and when to bunny-hop.  And when not to even try.
    • Barrier management.
    • Handling off-camber turns.
    • Riding sand vs. mud vs. wet grass.
    • Dealing with maladies.  Broken RD hanger, mud build-up, sandy cleats/pedals, etc.
    • Lots of riding!
  • Evening Sessions:
    • Intro to Heckling.  How to heckle and be heckled, a labor of love.
    • Advanced Heckling.  Personalizing your heckles and the reverse-heckle.
    • Nutrition Management.  Beer is okay, Malort is not.  How much bacon should one eat at max. HR?
    • Wheelies and Endos.  Because they're awesome.

I did a training camp last year and it was good, my only complaint was that the teacher assumed everyone was fast/competitive. I asked for advice on racing the Gloucester course as it was my 'one big race' for the year, and her advice was to 'get the holeshot'.  Well, even if I quit my job and did nothing but practice cross for a year, my chances of 'getting the holeshot' are basically nonexistent.  Know your audience, I guess.  If you have to, split the newbs/people who haven't raced before into a separate group.  The advice that I can put to use doesn't necessarily apply to a cat3 who's looking for an early season refresher.

we have one coming up later this month.

we are renting a house near Tomales Bay and riding from SF to the house with a sag.  it'll basically be base building and team camaraderie building.  and beer drinking.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service