Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

All Hallows 'Cross 2009 race report
Hughesville, MD
October 31, 2009

Wet conditions, mostly fast course with one AWESOME singletrack section, a LONG sand horse arena (thankfully tracked, wet, and solid by the time we raced) and one LONG, uphill, muddy, and grassy SLOG. Definitely a race-changer. One of the barriers was a 15" diameter corrugated pipe right before a slightly uphill U-turn. We went through a small barn. There were glow-in-the dark skeletons hanging in the woods and in the barn, and at one point a guy with a chainsaw. The mist and drizzle was pretty much continuous through the morning.

35+
Decent start, good position in the top 6 for the first 2 laps. 3rd lap caught a guy who was a little slower in the singletrack than I'd have liked, and I lost some ground on the front group. Still top 10. 4th lap, though... got off the good line in the long muddy slog, and lost 6 spots all at once. Lost a few more spots late in the race thinking I'd save my legs for the 3/4 race. Got 16th.

3/4
Excellent start but started cramping in the first lap. Took a while to settle in, but still wasn't able to make up ground when it mattered. Lost a lot of spots when I got off of a good line in the long slog (again) and lost a lot of places all at once. The www.cxhairs.com guy was behind me on one lap going through the singletrack. Can't wait to see what that looks like. It was the only time the whole race (pick one) where I felt smooth and fast, thanks to those MTB skills. 17th.

1/2/3
Well... what can I say? 3rd race of the day. Wasn't expecting anything other than: payout of 15 deep, and only 15 people registered (only 6 when I registered. I guess many had the same idea.) I was toast from the gun. Got lapped, but got 15th and got paid a small amount for being last. The only thing keeping me from dropping out was a friend yelling "YOU'RE STILL IN THE MONEY!!!" the whole race. Thanks, PH.

I did a total of 20 laps of the course- somewhere between 25 and 30 miles and at least 2:45 of muddy 'cross racing in one day. I'll never do that again.

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Props for doing 3 races.
+35!? I'm 32, only 3 mores years I change age groups! I need a drink.

Big props on doing all though races though!
Yeah- it sucked last year to go to Nats and be in the 35-39 group. BUT.... I had 4 options this past weekend- 35+ 3/4, 3/4, 35+ 1/2/3, and 1/2/3. Raced early, raced late... Surely one of those races fits in every schedule!
Geez, and I was pretty proud of myself a couple weeks ago for racing a 40 minute 35+ masters race then doubling up with a 45 minute open category SingleSpeed race later in the day. But to throw in a third race? Might be a lot more fun to get out the pneumatic nail gun and pierce random body parts.... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Respect.

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service