Cyclocross Magazine

Cyclocross Community, Forums, Classifieds, Photos and Videos

SS CX crossbike lovefest going on in here! Post what you're workin with!

Here's mine, this is my first year racing SS but I've been riding/racing cross in general 4 years now. A buddy talked me into it, and frankly I'm glad to have gotten the bug. Once I started looking for a ride I was pretty stoked to find that specialized makes a cheap aluminum SS bike with their carbon fork (900 retail). Turns out the bike has track width stays, so I went ahead and ordered a pair of the tubular mavic/formula wheels here on ebay from my local shop ( http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAVIC-TRACK-WHEELSET-WHEELS-700C-TUBULAR-FI...|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ) then a pair of t34s from worldclasscycles.com for 80 shipped to my door! ( http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tufo_pro_cyclocrooss.htm ) then procured a proper saddle and bar for it (Bro had saddle laying around, bar is a ritchey pro takeoff sitting in a bin at my local shop). The bar that comes with singlecrosses from spesh is like a 44 or something way big, plus I just like the way ritchey bars feel.

All in all I am pretty happy with this rig, and with racing SS in general. I have about 1050 in the whole bike, and the only thing I am not perfectly happy with is the hoods on the long pull tektro levers. The brakes work so well, I can't see myself changing them out though. AFAIK no one makes a long pull road lever besides tektro, and this is the model so I'm SOL. I have pauls and campy on my geared cross bike and the braking is just so much more awesome on this setup...

Post your rides guys!

Views: 1769

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

i would but i just broke my frame so i am now rocking alice style on a kona jake:)

nice ride though. i hope to build up an eno wheel so i can go between ss and alice.
My buddy has a jake the ss-snake with an eno :) Hopefully he'll post it up. He's spoiled though and has another one for geared operation....

So is your jake the super hawt neon green? BTW how the hell did you break your frame? 0.0
Here is my SS for the year a
VooDoo Aizan w/ sliding drops
Winwood Dusty Fork
Neuvation Wheels

Fun ride but the bottom bracket sits a little low.
Attachments:
Here's mine. Surly Cross Check with IRD fork. Surly Hubs & Velocity Aerohead rims, Cane Creel brakes and leavers, Salsa bars, Fizik saddle.

I just picked up a Singlecross too, I think it handles really well! I added a thomson seatpost and stem, ritchey pro bars, ultegra crank w/39 ring.
Attachments:
I'll edit my post later today to include pics after I finish building mine this afternoon (waiting on FEDEX)
IRO rob roy frame and fork 54
shimano 600 cranks with 39t chainring (have 42 tooth as well)
white industries eno dos 16t/18t freewheel
surly hubs/open pro rims as well as IRO hubs/weinmann rims
twister pro 32mm tires
modolo bar deda tape
thomson seatpost and stem, king headset, specialized comp road saddle time atac xs carbon ti pedals
tektro levers and tektro mini-v brakes
I've got the same bike, a singlecross. I like the controls, but I've been wanting to upgrade the wheels. What are your impressions of the wheels? I'm wanting an upgrade and those seem like a decent deal.

This is my On One Pompino SSCX 

On One Pompino frame

Shimano Pro Carbon forks

eXotic inline carbon seatpost

Selle Italia Flite XC saddle

Empella Froglegs brakes

Cane Creek sc5 levers

Planet X Track wheels

Scwalbe racing ralphs

Planet X bar/stem

Easton cork bar tape

Look Quartz pedals

I've got an FSA carbon pro crank waiting to be fitted as soon as I sort the chainring & White Industries freewheel then I shall be upgrading the wheels with a Stans Alpha/Goldtec hubs custom build also want to fit a Chris King headset and change the bar/stem set up with an 90mm 0 rise Easton ea90 stem, not made my mind up on the bar yet but would be nice to use Easton to match the stem but not sure if they do a compact shallow drop bar !  

Mine is a budget SS racer that I'm trying out this season (my second)

-'94 GT Bravado LE frame that I welded home made track style dropouts on a few years ago for  SS mtb

-29er takeoff wheels from my new Redline Monocog. I removed the seat and chainstay bridges cause it's a 26er frame
-Nashbar mechanical discs. I had to mod my frame to use discs but the end of a carpenters framing square works great

-Nashbar AL fork with disc tabs

-Maxxis  mud wrestler tires

-Fizik Alliante saddle

-Egg beaters

-Cane creek levers and headset

-Original XT crankset

I think I spent about $250 on brakes, tires and the fork. Everything else I had in the garage.

Attachments:

My new flat bar SS CX bike build.  19lbs at the moment.  Hopefully get it around 17lbs.   

RSS

Sold something in our classifieds? Find this site valuable?

Consider a donation to the cause. We're cheaper than eBay fees, and it helps us here at CXM keep the lights on!

Enter any amount below, and click on the cow for some good karma. Thanks!

Amount:

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Cyclocross Magazine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service